Thursday, December 18, 2008


Well, Becky - you got your snow wish! You were the first person I thought of this morning, at 5:34 am. Jeremy woke me up saying, 'It snowed in the night.' He could tell by looking at the skylight. He got up to check it out and came back in, 'It's only a little snow.' So naturally I was expecting something akin to Saturday night's pathetic display. I took my time getting up so when I finally looked outside, I was very pleasantly surprised! That is, until I realized I was going to have to drive in it. Again, I thought of Becky - I knew damn well she would not be leaving her house today! Even though I bet she was dying to check out 'the devastation'. Jeremy kindly went out and scraped the snow off my car, warmed it up, drove it down the driveway and then reversed it halfway back up. He came back inside. 'It's DEADLY. Very very icy. You are not going ANYWHERE today.' Of course I pooh-poohed him. In the midst of this pooh-poohing, as we stood looking out at the snow falling fairly rapidly, we saw our car slide down the driveway and into the road! It was a crazy surreal moment, almost like we were stuck in cement and couldn't move. Jeremy ran outside and luckily for us, the car lost momentum on the flat and stopped in the middle of the road (just before it could have easily knocked over the neighbor's mailbox, which had only been replaced four days ago after being knocked over by a car!). I could have probably stayed home, but I thought I should at least give it a go. I drove out to Lynwood Center Road and it looked OK - not great, but pretty manageable. It was a long, slooooow drive to work via High School Road. I was surprised at how few cars I saw, especially compared to how many people were at work. It was pretty impressive! I was only there for 2 hours before we were sent home. After a quick trip to get groceries and a latte (in case I got stranded), I was on my way back up Madison, around the roundabout (not easy), back on High School. On my way home, I passed at least 6 city vehicles. Those people really worked hard today, that's for sure. We had fun with Lucy on her first snow day. I think she was slightly intrigued by the white stuff, but in the end she made it clear that she would rather be inside with her toes in her mouth. So now we go to bed and hope it's not ice-ville tomorrow. Happy Christmas everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home